Weaknesses of the network which is intrinsic in every network and its device which included routers, switches, servers, desktops and even security devices e.g. firewall etc. Usually, the endpoints are under attacks, such as servers and desktop computers. Defending the privacy of information, securing from unauthorized access and shielding the network against attacks are the primary issue of network security professionals today. There are three primary vulnerabilities of the network. Which lead to various attacks on the network, including malicious code attacks and network attacks.
- HTTP, ICMP, and FTP are basically insecure. SMTP and NSMP are related to the insecure structure upon which TCP was designed.
- The operating system UNIX, Linux Mac OS, Mac OSX, Window has the security problem that must be considered by network administrators.
- There is various type of network equipment, such as switches, routers, and firewalls. These all have a security weakness including password protection, lack of authentication, protocols and firewall weakness that must be acknowledged and protected.
The vulnerabilities of configuration are following:-
- User Account Information may be transmitted over the network insecurely, which exposing username and passwords.
- Another common vulnerability is easily guessed password and username. The system account password must contain uppercase latter, lower case latter, figures, and signs.
- The difficult setting of devices enables security holes.
- Misconfiguration of the equipment is also a big security problem.
The vulnerabilities of security policy are following:-
- An un-written security policy cannot be consistently applied.
- Default password and poorly chosen password like dictionary word can easily allow hackers unauthorized access to the network.
- Unauthorized changes to the hardware and software which not meet the policy can create security risks