There are several network layer protocols which listed below. However, here we will discuss the first two protocols which are commonly known as the IP address of the device or computer:
Network Layer Protocols list
- IPv4 also Internet Protocol version 4
- IPv6 also know as Internet Protocol version 6
- DDP, Datagram Delivery Protocol
- DVMRP, Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol
- ICMP, Internet Control Message Protocol
- IGMP, Internet Group Management Protocol
- IPsec, Internet Protocol Security
- IPX, Internetwork Packet Exchange
- PIM-DM, Protocol Independent Multicast Dense Mode
- PIM-SM, Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode
- RIP, also Routing Information Protocol
- RSMLT Routed-SMLT
Characteristics of IP
IP address with the low overhead protocol is planned. It also provides the functions that required to deliver a packet from a source to a destination over an interconnected network. The protocol doesn’t track and manage the flow of packets. The basic characteristics of IP are the following:
The connection has not established with the destination before sending data packets.
IP address naturally unreliable because there is no packet delivery guarantee.
The operation is dependent on the medium (i.e., copper, fiber optic, or wireless) carrying the data.